Patching Upholstery (Settee Hexagons)

setteedonebig1

My settee has had a small hole in the arm since I bought it. I fell in love with it in a vintage shop and wasn’t fazed by the hole. I was going to mend it as soon as the settee arrived at my house but somehow never got around to it until now.
setteehole
Tying in with my recent spate of patching and patchwork I’m going to continue the theme onto my settee. Finding cute fabric that would be tough enough for patching upholstery was a bit of a challenge; I eventually resorted to buying new from a fabric store (I prefer to reuse fabric but I didn’t have anything suitable and couldn’t find anything appropriate in the local charity shops). I found some nice heavyweight printed cotton that will do the job nicely.

First thing I did was to stitch the hole closed, just to keep everything tidy and strong. It didn’t need to be neat stitches as it will be covered with a patch.I am using nylon thread for strength and a curved needle. This is my first time using a curved needle and it takes some getting used to! It is perfect for the job though.
setteeneedle
The next thing I did was make my patches. I have decided to use three patches (hexagons to tie in with Patchwork Wallpaper, they are in the same room). I don’t need to use three but I am feeling showy today!

I made a template, a hexagon with tabs to fold over to make a nice hemmed edge, drew round it onto the wrong side of my fabric and cut it out.
setteetemplate  setteecutout
Then I used iron-on hemming tape to stick the tabs down. This gave me a nice neat hexagon with no risk of fraying.
setteepatch
I repeated this with my other two fabrics, giving me three nice neat hexagonal patches ready to sew onto my settee. I positioned the first one over the hole and sewed it on with my curved needle. Then lined up the next one and sewed it on too, sewing the edge onto the first patch.
setteepinned
I read somewhere that when mending upholstery it is best not to pin it but I found it difficult to keep the patch straight with no pins so I popped one in each corner and removed them as I came to them.

Considering this was my first attempt at using a curved needle (and at sewing onto upholstery) I’m quite pleased with how I have done.
setteefinished

Advertisements

One thought on “Patching Upholstery (Settee Hexagons)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s