Today I agreed to mend Helen’s armchair. It is a vintage leather one that used to belong to her father and not only is it sentimental it is super-comfy. Unfortunately the leather has got brittle and is splitting in several places (helped along by the kindly cats). It wouldn’t be feasible to stitch as it is so brittle.
After some discussion we decided that the best option would be to patch it and I suggested patching underneath with a contrasting fabric. She chose a turquoise velvet that ties in with her living room colours.
I cut generous pieces of the velvet to reinforce the areas around the splits, slotted it in and smoothed it down then glued it with specialist glue. Helen is very happy with the result and it has not only extended the life of this chair, but has made it an unique talking point and has tied it in with her decor.